GCO supports University faculty and their departments in the administration and expenditure of awarded projects by managing the financial interactions with sponsors and assuring compliance with University and sponsor policies.
- Administering the post-award functions for sponsored projects
- Managing financial interactions with sponsors, including preparing and submitting financial reports and invoices
- Pre and post auditing of expenditures to check for allowabilty
- Reviewing and approving cost transfers and select invoice vouchers, encumbrances, and TEM transactions
- Working with departments on clearing overdrafts and unallowable expenditures
- Monitoring subrecipients, including reviewing and submitting invoices to departments for processing
- Managing and collecting data for analysis, billings, testing and reporting
- Monitoring accounts receivable
- Reporting equipment purchased on federal awards to sponsor
- Approving equipment transfers and loans purchased on sponsored project funding
- Submitting appropriate close-out documents
- Managing Semi-Annual Expenditure Confirmations
- Coordinating the Federal A-133 Audit and other external audits
Faculty and Department
Faculty and staff members who direct sponsored research programs under University auspices are responsible for effective conduct of these projects.
- Agreeing to all terms and conditions with emphasis on performance clauses, including:
- the frequency of technical reports,
- special professional staff hourly reports,
- deliverables, and
- termination conditions.
- Assuring appropriateness, reasonableness, and allowability of expenditures.
- Managing expenditures to not exceed available award balance.
- Reviewing and signing Semi-Annual Expenditure Confirmations as required.
- Initiating requests for rebudgeting and cost transfers.
- Approving payment of subrecipient invoices.
- Confirming performance and progress made by subrecipients.
- Preparing technical reports and provides other deliverables as required.
- Managing and meeting the cost-share requirements.
- Providing oversight of sponsored project administration, including cost transfers and Semi-Annual Expenditure Confirmations.
- Approving substantive modifications and rebudgeting.
- Assuring timely resolution of unallowable expenditures.
- Monitoring faculty effort and other resources committed as cost-share.
- Participating in negotiations when technical reports are incomplete and deliverables are lacking or unacceptable to the sponsor.
The Office of Sponsored Programs
OSP is responsible for submitting proposals to funding agencies requesting support for research and other scholarly projects. Resulting awards are made through OSP, which reviews, negotiates, and accepts them on behalf of faculty and staff at the University of Illinois.
- Accepting the award on behalf of the University.
- Negotiating terms and conditions relating to University policies.
- Developing and executing subagreements.
- Reviewing and processing non-monetary modifications.